The process of allocating children to classes for 2020 has begun. The allocations are based on many considerations: learning abilities; gender balance; behavioural considerations; personalities; friendship and religion. It is important to have a balance of Catholic and non-Catholic children, especially in Sacramental years.
As part of the process of allocating classes, the children are given the opportunity to nominate 5 friends with whom they would like to share a class next year. They are assured to have at least one of these friends with them. The ‘Friendship 5’ lists will be completed by the children in the next two weeks. I believe that teachers are in the best position to decide a child’s placement because they know all the children in their classes and have a view of the ‘big picture’.
If you have anything that you feel needs to be considered, for your own child’s well-being or development, please make an appointment in Week five or six through the front office to discuss with me your specific needs in person. After the cut-off date, it will not be possible to take considerations into account. No requests after Friday Wk 6 can be considered due to the flow on affect that this will have to other classes.
After discussions with other Principals as to their policies regarding class allocation and listening to the teachers here at SJV thie current process for class allocation will be reviewed during 2020.
Sometimes families move unexpecteedly at the end of the year and so we have to say goodbye to some students. If your son/daughter will not be attending SJV at the end of the year can you please inform the front office, in writing of this and the destination school that they will be attending. This information is a government requirement.
Teacher Placements 2020
Below I have placed the teachers and the classes that they will be responsible for next year.
An initiative of the SCC is to include a short fortnightly piece in the school’s newsletter. I’d like to start by introducing the members of the SJV SCC who represent and provide leadership to the wider school community:
- Chair: Rebecca McMahon
- Deputy Chair: Josie Lopez
- Secretary: Lucie Walker
- Treasurer: Sonia Dutkiewicz (outgoing)
- Principal: Peter Rodda or Nina De Rosa
- Parish Priest: Father Michael Lim
- Parent Representatives: Troy McDonald, Jon Wellington (outgoing), Kelly Hill (outgoing), Steve Nolan (outgoing), Tony Bufalo (outgoing)
- Staff Representatives: Sharee Thomas, Leah Malpas
There are a number of outgoing members at the end of this school year and as such, we are calling for nominees to join the SCC next year. If you are interested or would like further information, please contact Peter Rodda or myself. Pre-requisites include a genuine desire to drive both the school and the SCC forward and the passion and dedication to fulfill your role as a SCC member.
There are 4 focus groups within SJV that assist the SCC with achieving our goals. The Focus Group Leaders are:
- Communications coordinator: Yash McCann
- Environment Coordinator: Sam Calabro
- Events Coordinator: Annette Dozspot
- Pastoral Care Coordinator: Vacant
On behalf of the SJV school community I would like to give thanks and praise the efforts of the Fete Committee led magnificently by Jade McGrath and Lucy Ohlmus. The fete is the school’s biggest fundraiser for the year and without doubt the most involved event to coordinate and manage. I think we can all agree that they did a fantastic job!
Many thanks also to the volunteers who assisted in the days leading up to the fete and on the big day itself, there wouldn’t have been a fete without each and every one of you. It was wonderful to see families in our community working together and the school community spirit shining brightly.
Update from the SCC open meeting
Earlier this year, the SCC held an open meeting during which our school community put a number of ideas forward. The SCC and Teaching Executive have actioned many suggestions and I am pleased to provide you with the following update (further updates in future newsletters):
- A fortnightly communique to all families from classroom teachers (sometimes completed as a whole grade memo) as work being covered and important datyes to remember.
- An updated Kinder Orientation Welcome Pack
- More emphasis on Times Tables: Most classes are completing tables or skip counting from a daily basis to once per week.
- Personalised Learning Plans: A visit to the SCC from a CE Officer had to be postponed, however the SCC is still striving to provide the community with information relating to what they are, how SJV uses the plans and the difference the plans are making to children’s learning.
- Facebook Class Groups: Have been established for some classes and provide an easy means for families/carers to communicate, seek school-related answers and arrange social events.
- Year 3 Facebook Group Name: SJV - Grade 3 Group – 2019
- Kinder Facebook Group Name: SJV - Kindergarten 2019
- Kinder 2020 Facebook Group Name: SJV - Kindergarten 2020
If you have a child in one of these classes, please consider joining the relevant Facebook group. Let me know if you are interested in setting up a group for another year level.
- Update the school newsletter: Completed and feedback has been very positive.
- Access to Teacher’s contact details: The email addresses of all staff has been included on the SJV website https://www.sjv.act.edu.au/our-school/our-staff
- Family movie night: SCC is investigating a possible community event at a cinema.
- Class Contacts: A huge thank you to the class contacts who will carry their role into 2020, with additional volunteers required next year:
- Kindergarten - Yash McCann and Rebecca McMahon
- Year 1/2 - Anita Wilkinson
- Year 3/4 - Sonia Taflaga
- Year 5/6 - Steph Luck
- Recognition of parent involvement: A weekly section has been included in the school’s newsletter to nominate and pay thanks to a Community Champion.
- Community skills directory: A call for nominations was included in the Term 4, Week 1 newsletter. No nominations have been received and the concept will be revisited in 2020.
- Oval day: Staff invited the children to play at the oval during Term 3. All efforts will be made for another lunchtime play at the oval this term.
- Retaining wall for sandpit: Completed.
- Dishwasher for canteen: The SCC will obtain quotes for a suitable dishwasher.
- SJV ELC: Teaching Executive and the SCC support the inclusion of an ELC at SJV. The ELC review has been completed and Peter Rodda has volunteered to form part of a Steering Committee.
- Refurbishment of bathrooms: Replacement of doors, taps, vanities and flushing mechanisms will take place in early 2020.
Additional SCC projects and initiatives
- Artificial turf in the playground: Quotes and samples were received and the SCC selected a company. Completion is aimed for early 2020.
- Year 6 graduation: The SCC will provide financial support for year 6 students to attend their end of year graduation.
Upcoming School Community events
- Working Bee: Late November/early December - date to be confirmed.
- Gingerbread House Making: 28th November
- Thank you BBQ and Christmas Carols: 18th December
A big congratulations to the following students:
Please note - Merit Awards will be handed out at NEXT Friday's morning assembly.
Wow, what a day! Thank you to everyone who supported the fete through various ways. It really was a great day for the SJV community. The funds raised from the fete will go towards various activities and capital works for the school, which ultimately benefits the students. Any feedback, suggetions or questions are welcome - please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Our sponsors are extraordinary local Canberra based and family run businesses and we cannot thank them enough for their generousity and contribution for the 2019 SJV fete.
We acknowledge the following people for their special contributions to the fete Jade McGrath, Sonia Taflaga, Tony McGrath, Kellie Sydlarczuk, Sonia Dutkiewicz, Lucy Ohlmus, Yash McCann.
Community Champion Nomination Form
Dates for the following week
|Friday 9th November||
Kinder Fairy Tale Dress Up day
|Monday 11th November||
Remembrance Day Prayer Celebration @10.45
|Friday 15th November||
WARAMUNCHIES Canteen is open Wednesday & Friday. Orders can be made online via Qkr! A copy of the Menu and Qkr! instructions can be found on the Canteen Waramuchies Webpage.
NEXT WEEKS CANTEEN ROSTER
Wednesday November 13
Canteen Volunteers Needed
Friday November 15
Please remember to bring your WWVP card with you.
Canteen Volunteers Needed
The canteen is in desperate need of some volunteers, in particular on Wednesday's for this term.
If you can only spare a couple of hours, that would be fantastic. If you have little ones, they are very welcome to come along.
Please contact the front office or fill in the canteen volunteer form to let us know you are able to help and when.
ELC Uniform Free Day – Next Wednesday 13 November (Orientation Day) will be a Uniform Free day for all ELC children.
St Jude’s ELC Orientation Day – The ELC will be holding Orientation Day for 2020 ELC on Wednesday 13 November. Please note that parents/guardians are responsible for taking and collecting children.
ELC Tea towels – ELC tea towels (misprinted with the primary school logo rather than the ELC logo) are available from the ELC for $5 each. These will make a great gift for Christmas!
Last Day of Term - The last day of Term 4 is Thursday 19 December. The ELC will be running one day of holiday care for current ELC children on Friday 20 December. Booking forms will be emailed and posted in the note section of the school website in Week 7.
Karen Leighton - St Jude's Early Learning Centre